Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Ramtin, Redsail, MH 721 Opinions please
    By crystaluk in forum Vinyl Cutters
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 18-07-2013, 11:46 PM
  2. Redsail Vinyl Cutters - Vinyl Cutter Choice
    By Heatpressuk in forum Vinyl Cutters
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2012, 10:27 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I got a Redsail 720C, my journey!

Ebay and goods in Manchester, can not fault the courier service as ordered one afternoon and at home the next morning. It took a while for me to get around to assembling the frame. Quite easy to put up really even without any pictures, did not take long to fathom it out.
    Contents of box was a few CD's with drivers, disk with Inkscape and signblazer, USB lead, serial lead, mains cable, spare fuse, pen holder, box with 2 blades and the cutter blade/holder fitted to the machine.

Generally well packed. Powered the unit up, pressed a few buttons and pop, unit dead, Oh bugger, tried fuse no difference, get meter out and found the mains lead was faulty, it is an all moulded item, the fuse is OK but the line line is open circuit. Dig out another mains lead, plug in and unit powers up again, so sign of relief.

I already had Signblazer from my searching on here UK version with the patch so ran that up and connected the USB lead between plotter, made up simple text and a graphic from the library, used the pen and some A4 paper and plotted. Found a few times with USB that the plotter would seemingly stop, I have read that this could happen on a few posts so thought I would go over to serial lead.

Swapped laptop for an older unit with serial port and connected up, and problem gone, so either need to try adding some drivers from disks which I have not yet done, add an earth lead as recommended some where although I doubt if that is the issue as only using an A4 sheet and not a roll of vinyl building up static.

Fit cutter, set 50 g pressure try to cut vinyl and go through the paper, stop it all, check what doing, forget reading the manual is not worth the paper I printed it on.
    Lifted the cutter up by a few mm in the holder and checked again, pressing the set button puts the pen down a bit and I can see the amount of up/down movement available.

try cutting again and it scores the vinyl, but will not cut through. several tests and ended up with around 120 to 150g pressure on the screen before it reliably cuts the vinyl, but not through the paper. I could well have damaged the blade previously, but it cuts so at least some success.

When it came in the package there was a thick washer under the knurled head of the cutter holder, I assumed it was to stop it hitting the cutter strip in transit, perhaps it is meant to be there.

I will continue to play and waste paper, ink, time and some vinyl learning what it can do. It does look a better cutter then I expected, quite solid, decent finish and all, so off I go to annoy the wife when watching TV with the sounds of the stepper motor whirring back and forth and the cooling fan from underneath the unit.

Adrian

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Great write up :-) Can you adjust the depth of the blade within the holder at all? I found that you only need the slightest amount of blade showing, about the thickness of a credit card. You should just be able to feel it if you drag across your hand. It does sound like adjusting the pressure on the machine isn't making much difference to the cut depth.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The blade is only just poking from the end of the holder. I basically pushed the holder as far down as possible on the first attempt and think basically there was next to no movement allowed on the cutting head. I have possibly damaged the blade doing this but will try more before fitting a new blade. The range adjustment is 50 to 500g.. Anyway more play time.

Adrian

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Does the blade not twist in the holder? I was thinking it was same as my MH721 but maybe not.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the blade will turn in the holder think they will be the same, I meant the vertical movement was not enough. I get the impression that there must be an amount of height clearance, but not sure what?tamarisk.jpg just done this and stuck to laptop lid think I went to fine in the detail, but it did a decent job. It is just about learning the cutter and Signblazer.
    But learning.

Adrian

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have dropped the cutting pressure down a bit but, can still get the cutter going through the backing when its feeding the vinyl through so I sent an email off to Redsail or hflaser.com asking what should be the cutter height above the vinyl when at rest. Thinking I have to start keeping things consistent. Got a speedy reply saying 2mm. So glad to see there is support.
    Will try some more at the end of week.

Adrian

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back from a few days away and used two credit size cards back to back to get close to 2mm, used this as a setting guide for the cutter height and did a few trail cuts using the test button and the test output from Artcut. To be able to pick the pieces out cleanly I have increased the cutter pressure to 160gram, at this pressure it does not go through the paper.
    I also tested this repeatedly down the width of the cutter. Even turned it off and back on again to let it reset. All OK.

So there is a relationship between set height of cutter and the pressure it applies. I am guessing but would think it is nothing more then pulling down on a spring in side the head rather then using any strain gauges to measure the pressure being applied?

Artcut, well I bought it to try, weird software. Loaded fine on one laptop but not on another, both using XP Something I have to sort.

Adrian

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    around 155 - 165 seems to be the norm with some of these cutters, i have one at the moment thats 180 on 123 flex, then 165 on other flex, then my creation loves to cut around 125/135 so its all a learning curve. to test cut i always draw a square of say 90mm, then the next one, 85 and so on, that way it will cut on inside the other, and you will use minimal vinyl in the process
    [h=A dictionary is the only place where success comes before work]5[/h]Laura
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thanks for that, shows I am around the ball park! Need time to play with Artcut on the working PC, does a decent line transform at least.

Adrian