Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Football Lettering Font...
    By Lee in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 16-02-2021, 01:02 AM
  2. first selection of vinyl
    By bigj2552 in forum Vinyl & Flock
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-07-2012, 09:34 PM
  3. a small selection of some of my work..
    By logodigitizing in forum Embroidery
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 14-07-2012, 11:39 AM
  4. red round edge of black lettering
    By Charlie_ in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-07-2012, 09:44 PM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Font Selection for Vinyl Lettering.

I have spent a while now trying to work out a good collection of fonts to include in my shiney new 'Lettering Tool' (yet to be opened to the public).

I dont want to include too many fonts, just the ones that are well suited to Vinyl Signage - My fonts will start at 30mm (as small than that will be a beast to weed) and go up to 500mm probably.

Quite often I have seen people say that 'Serif' fonts are a nightmare as the serifs are the first part to peel so may want to avoid those.

I have a tool which allows the user to input the desired text, select colour - reverse cut - size (and italic, bold, bold italic)

Well, heres a screenshot so you can get the idea:

Does anybody have a list of fonts that would lend themselves to this type of thing ?

I know a lot of you have been in the business for a long time so may be able to save me a lot of time with this.
    My website is open:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Using FlexiStarter 10 and a Liyu SC631e & a Silhouette Cameo cutter. 2x Ricoh SG3110dn printers and Adkins Auto Clam press. Using Sublijet-r from Sawgrass.
    ..And I have gotten my money's worth out of this forum - saved Hundreds by being a Premium Member
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<-- IF you like this post PLEASE add to my reputation by clicking the 'Star' below this post on the Left :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nik,

I have only cut lettering to the customer's specification, so I haven't thought about it from this viewpoint.

A word of caution, though. Like images, fonts are copyrighted. The fonts offered need to be either free for commercial use or ones you have bought the commercial license for.

Karen

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what is worrying me, I could have a huge list of fonts and be a sitting duck for anyone who is after people using fonts for commercial use they are not supposed to. Like all of us I have thousands of fonts.. lol, I suppose fonts will be a nightmare.

It's not like I can even ask a competitor.. to be honest if someone asked me I would be helpful though.
    My website is open:

Using FlexiStarter 10 and a Liyu SC631e & a Silhouette Cameo cutter. 2x Ricoh SG3110dn printers and Adkins Auto Clam press. Using Sublijet-r from Sawgrass.
    ..And I have gotten my money's worth out of this forum - saved Hundreds by being a Premium Member

<-- IF you like this post PLEASE add to my reputation by clicking the 'Star' below this post on the Left :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the fonts with fontsquirrel.com
    All the fonts here are labelled as 100% free for commercial use. Still be worth checking the license attached to the fonts you pick.

There are plenty of fonts to choose from there & the search has good classifications. To start with I think I'd pick one from each classification on the "less is more" principle. Customers like choice - but more options doesn't always convert to more sales.

Have fun choosing the fonts.......................

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a great find, thanks very much - I can find everything I need there :)
    My website is open:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been at least Three months since I decided to start this business - the 'Easy' part was my website.

I engaged a 'Developer' to make this simple tool (An Indian One) and it has been a 'Roller Coaster' to be polite..

The 'Tool' (Not the 'Developer') was almost ready a couple of weeks ago when I noticed the '£' symbol didn't work.. I thought this would be an easy fix but alas, NO (as far as the Tool is concerned - no, I meant the 'Developer').

Ere it is.

I have another chap making another tool for me (FANTASTIC FELLA) and in passing I mentioned the problem I am having with the 'Tool' (I'm sure you get the Gist by now) - anyway, about ten minutes later I get a reply from the chap saying "I had a look, and fixed it" - I was OVER THE BLOODY MOON...

It was not his job but he managed to fix something that the Tool Man had been spending weeks on.

I learned a valuable lesson here, Don't try and use the wrong Tool for a job.
    My website is open:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy cheap, buy twice isn't just for hardware. As a web developer I've lost lots of potential clients to cheaper overseas developers and I've also gained many who have been left with inflexible, inappropriate or unusable websites/software built by the cheaper guys.

As for fonts more is not always better, give your customers too many decisions and they often won't make them (I had a sticker site with over 10,000 designs to choose from, people would spend hours looking and then dissapear, presumably they thought I'll come back later or I'll have a think, I reduced it to about 1,000 and got a much better conversion)

Think of the font groups and have no more than 2 from each, include horrendous fonts such as comic sans and jokerman, they are fonts non designers love and that unfortunately is your target market.
    Last edited by FutureProject; 05-01-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Nick, I tried your tool and is working like a dream! but... what is this for? i added to cart but this didnt appeared on a mug or something. so what this is or? sorry if this is stupid question

<-- How To Print Stuff BLOG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand it Paul, its for working out the cost for a customer that wishes to purchase vinyl cut lettering of their choice with a certain font, size and colour.... so for example the wording.. Hello DSF in white, 30mm high (auto length) and the font Trebuchet would cost £2.25.
    Last edited by arko; 05-01-2014 at 03:55 PM.
    To view links or images in signatures your Beer count must be 10 pints or greater. You have currently drunk 15 pints!.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    right! cool thing :)

<-- How To Print Stuff BLOG