Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. slates - who is the best supplier
    By harlequeen in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20-05-2015, 01:13 PM
  2. MDF Slates from CG..
    By dazzul in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-07-2013, 05:59 PM
  3. red faces etc on slates and photo panels
    By Dave271069 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-01-2013, 09:32 PM
  4. other photo slates
    By bassqee in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 02:02 PM
  5. Rock slates
    By schizowife in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo slates

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Photo slates

I'm deciding if it is worth doing a business to business deal supplying printed 8x6 inch photo slates to retailers.

What RRP do they typically sell for?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes
    if you on her asking weather you should do a business deal or not then im guessing your doing this as a hobby? if you want to start making money then Business to public, business to business business to retail is all methods you will be looking at getting into to get new customers, profits will be lower but sales should be higher, ive just managed to get in to a local news agent, ive put a t-shirt a mug keyrings etc in there and given the owner Trade Prices, which are much lower then i would normally sell for but i see it as advertising and a retail outlet free of charge is priceless for me anyway
    Dave

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've already been in business for years, but I'm coming back into sublimation to support my other product range. Depending on what your are selling, low value items aren't worth doing BtoB for the low profit margins. I'm trying to work out what my wholesale price will be and need to know typical RRP for photo slates. But not photographer's RRP, they charge too much lol. Photo slates for the hobbyist market etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sell for £10 -£12

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To businesses or the public?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's my selling price, haven't sold to trade yet, maybe £9.99 to trade rrp £14.99 but I know some people who sell to photographers for double/triple that.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen one printed yet, but I was thinking that a photo slate would retail for £25-£30 in one of those upmarket gift shops.

I would want £10 for my efforts, also have to consider a retail box which aren't cheap and then the retailer wants to at least double that mark up.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have spoken to a couple of my local 'gift shop' retail outlets and they said they wanted to make a 2.5 times mark up, minimum.

They weren't unduly interested in the fact that my products were small batch production tailored to their needs ie exclusive designs, local views, local appeal etc. Well, they liked the products but ultimately all they were interested in was the profit margin. Whilst they appreciated the unique and added value of what I had to offer, they said that if a customer purchased one of my products at a lower margin they wouldn't be purchasing one of the shops other products that carried a higher margin and they would be losing money and the concept of the customer leaving having not made a purchase wasn't an option, after all the customer went into the gift shop to buy a gift, why would they leave without buying something (at x2.5 mark up)

To put it into perspective - one retailer was selling printed mugs in a gift box - not a cheap clear plastic box but a squat, cylindrical cardboard drum with a lid, printed to look like a gift box - just put a ribbon around it and its ready to go. The mugs were bone china and were well produced - nice designs etc. They were selling these from six to eight quid a pop! That means they were buying from under two quid with the box! I don't see any point in trying to compete with that!

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah 2.35 - 2.5 is about right, I have the price calculations for ex VAT mark ups in a notepad document somewhere.

An RRP of £9.99 incl VAT for example would be bought from us at £3.03.

I don't mind if they add the x2.5 or so, just need to know how high they can be sold for? If they want to a have sale, they can cut into their own margins.
    Last edited by GoonerGary; 16-01-2014 at 01:35 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on folks you are professionals doing a professional job. Charge a professional rate with a quality image and people will pay for it. Be professional, think professional, charge the right money. A mechanic is going to cost you £30 to £150 per hour, I have just used a solicitor @ £250 per hour plus VAT...why...because he was the best in his field. Can you produce the image, print the slates, do the paperwork and cover your delivery cost and earn a professional income....not on some of the figures I see waved about on this forum.
    I charge more trade for slates than you are talking retail.

Arthur "To put it into perspective - one retailer was selling printed mugs in a gift box - not a cheap clear plastic box but a squat, cylindrical cardboard drum with a lid, printed to look like a gift box - just put a ribbon around it and its ready to go. The mugs were bone china and were well produced - nice designs etc. They were selling these from six to eight quid a pop! That means they were buying from under two quid with the box! I don't see any point in trying to compete with that!" Why would you compete...they are mass produced.

Does the shop want to make £6 off a mug or £15 off a slate? They will want £15! Or what about a bespoke design mug only available in their gift shop... £7 from you £8.00 profit for them...you have just raised their profit from £6.00 to £8.00..... a 33% increase. Would you like your profit to go up by 33%?

Be professional, think professional, charge like a professional.....if the solicitor was £15 per hour would I have any faith in him...errr no.

I'll get off my soapbox but sometimes I just want to bang members heads together..

I'll never change any of you, I accept that, but if I can make you pause for a second (even just to call me a w~~~~r!) then perhaps I have done something useful.

Janners