Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. printing problem
    By wilky007 in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 20-01-2014, 10:02 PM
  2. problem printing with mug press
    By Skye in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-12-2013, 03:12 PM
  3. mug printing problem still :(
    By Billy in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 15-02-2012, 12:06 PM
  4. Printing problem....?
    By Lee in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 23-04-2011, 04:51 PM
  5. printing problem
    By beabea1 in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 26-03-2011, 12:45 AM
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mug Printing problem - probably not the first!!!!

Hi guys,

Well I've been getting through a lot of mugs in the last few days, most of them have gone in the bin, or used as pen holders (not for public viewing!!) and some have come out ok.....

....But, I can't seem to get consistent results, below are a couple of mugs with issues, I was thinking this is a heat problem, but I have taken on board on the great info on here and tried my hardest to change settings and pre-heat my mugs, but still not having a lot of luck.

So, what would your opinions be on the two mugs here, Here are my settings (which are from another thread on this website - thought I'd try it!): Idle temp 120c (248f) press temp: 190c (374f) I put the mug in on idle temp for 45 seconds, then wrap the image and cook for 140 seconds. I was doing 180c for 180 secs with an idle temp of 110c and a warm up of around 30 seconds on half the mug only, but my results weren't good.

Any help or opinions would be much appreciated!!

Number 1 has issues on the bottom only:

Number 2 has the same on the bottom, and also some vertical streak marks on the top....sorry for the photo quality, it's hard to see but in line with the arrows

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    What press and printer are you using? Also which mugs?
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Justin,

The mugs are from Coralgraph, the press is a cheapo chinese model from monsterdoodle along with an epson Xp-215 from the same place! on the whole I'm getting good results,but it's very hit and miss.

Cheers

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Coralgraph mugs and found them to be quite good, but just check if they are straight. Place two mugs together if they touch in the middle but not at the tops and bottoms that that may be your problem.
    The fading at the bottom may be due to the blanket not presing tight enough, the pattern at the top due the paper scrunching up a bit.

If the mugs are straight then that rules them out.

Next would be heat. If you print a mug one way, then the next one the other way do you have the same issue at the same end of the mugs (ie the stripes at the top of the mug). If not then one end of the blanket may be may be showing the heating element.

The fading at the bottom may be due to the heat soak in the base. Try boiling water in the bottom of the mug, this will heat the base rather than the whole mug. Now print. Has the fade gone? If so the issue is the bottom of the mugs being very cold.

All I am doing here is giving you a route to identify the cause of your problems...not necessarily a solution.

Janners

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Is your press nice and tight
    Are you transfers taped tightly around the mugs?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMugs View Post
    I have used Coralgraph mugs and found them to be quite good, but just check if they are straight. Place two mugs together if they touch in the middle but not at the tops and bottoms that that may be your problem.
    The fading at the bottom may be due to the blanket not presing tight enough, the pattern at the top due the paper scrunching up a bit.

If the mugs are straight then that rules them out.

Next would be heat. If you print a mug one way, then the next one the other way do you have the same issue at the same end of the mugs (ie the stripes at the top of the mug). If not then one end of the blanket may be may be showing the heating element.

The fading at the bottom may be due to the heat soak in the base. Try boiling water in the bottom of the mug, this will heat the base rather than the whole mug. Now print. Has the fade gone? If so the issue is the bottom of the mugs being very cold.

All I am doing here is giving you a route to identify the cause of your problems...not necessarily a solution.

Janners
    Hi mate,

Some interesting thoughts there that I hadn't considered being a newbie!!! Got to say I was very pleased with the service from Coralgraph, in fact it's nothing but first class.

I've lined up a a few of the mugs and there is a little bit of wavyness (is that a real word!!) but I assumed with the spongy bit of the blanket that it would have it well covered, could it be a pressure problem? see below:

IMG_20140119_134432.jpg

I will try printing a mug the other way round and see if that makes a difference.

The lines on the flower mug are strange, I always make sure my transfer are nice and tight around the mug, or could a slight wave in the top of the mug cause the paper to crinkle?? I don't know, just throwing ideas in the pot

As for the press being tight pisquee, I think it is but have nothing to compare it to..... it seems ok. is there any rule of thumb on tightness (clean answer only please!!)

Thanks

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little update:

I've just placed a steel rule against the flower mug, and where the crinkles the mug seems to curve inwards there, so maybe that could be a reason, this is also the case at the very bottom of the mug.

Would the blanket not be able to curve round these areas?? am I not using enough pressure doyou think??

thanks

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using the same press as you (from the same place) but I am using a Ricoh, so different inks.

I found that there is a 'Sweet Spot' in my press - with the solid base pointing to the right, I have to have the mug about 10-15mm slightly off center to the top. so there is more of the mug on the left hand side of the shaft.

If your near Norwich I am happy for you to visit Grey Towers for some pointers.. just try placing the mug in the press slightly differently each time - oh, and you will need it tight for this full bleed image - so that the blanket is forming around the top and bottom of the mug a bit.
    My website is open:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Using FlexiStarter 10 and a Liyu SC631e & a Silhouette Cameo cutter. 2x Ricoh SG3110dn printers and Adkins Auto Clam press. Using Sublijet-r from Sawgrass.
    ..And I have gotten my money's worth out of this forum - saved Hundreds by being a Premium Member
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<-- IF you like this post PLEASE add to my reputation by clicking the 'Star' below this post on the Left :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    do i got it right? you placed your mug for 45sec. then place image on mug and in the reds again?

<-- How To Print Stuff BLOG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi nik,

Ahright, that sounds interesting, I'm literally about to put a mug in so I've already increased the tension so it's really quite tight, and I will do as you said and offset it more.....I'm assuming that'll get more of the base area of the mug right inside the heating element and cook better??? I'll give it a go and see what happens.

And that is a very nice offer of a visit Nik, I may well take you up on that at some point, thank you.

I'll show my latest results in a few minutes!!