Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Magnetic signs
    By TonyM in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 16-11-2015, 01:17 PM
  2. Pigment Inks, Gel inks, Refillable cartridges,
    By timeleecoops in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 29-01-2015, 06:04 PM
  3. City Inks - Edible Inks Special Offer
    By Justin in forum Press Releases/Announcements
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 21-09-2012, 02:12 PM
  4. house name signs
    By smitch6 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-04-2011, 08:25 AM
  5. My first signs
    By Mattie in forum Vinyl & Flock
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 28-01-2011, 09:29 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sub inks on exterior signs

Hi there,

Just got my new sub printing kit so I'm ready to go. I am already producing wooden plaques and signs using vinyl cut with a Silhouette plotter. I have been asked if I can produce some signs on sublimation metal, but I'm aware that the inks don't stand up well to sunlight. is there anything that I could coat the signs with to prevent or drastically reduce fading? (i.e. lacquer etc) Any info at all on this subject would be appreciated.
    Steve

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search about for Digi Coat. they do a UV protection i think.
    I have a short attention span.... HEY LOOK A PLANE!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve, yes as dazzul says, there is a UV protection digicoat product produced by Marvelpress Supplies, problem is there is still no way of knowing how much protection it provides - it is like 'how long is a piece of string' - too many factors contribute to the fading effect (colours of ink used, how much sunlight the item gets, direct sunlight or shade etc etc) that they cannot give any figures for how much longer the item will last without fading. To give you some clue as your start point - in my experience, without any protection solid black fades to 90% grey or brown within 3 months in direct sunlight all day (well as much sun as you get in yorkshire lol) and 80% in 6 months, 75% in a year, 66% in 2 years, 60% in 3, 55% in 4, approx. etc. So it is fairly noticeable fairly quickly but seems to slow down over time and the sign will still be readable for a long time. I replaced my gate signs after 3 years and my new signs seem to be following the same pattern after 9 months of being up. I had intended to test the digicoat when I put them last summer, too a can up to spray one and leave the other - but when I took the top off the can the nozzle was missing - doh! so never got round to it. Will put it on my to do list for this year !
    Sorry it doesn't totally answer your question, but it gives you an idea of how to approach customers about it - the way I have ever sold an item to be printed outside (like a memorial plaque) is if asked how long will it last, I've explained the inks will fade over time but that it will still be readable for years and if need be I will reprint the plaque for half the price if it does require replacement - guess what, I've never had anyone come back! Hope that helps.
    Nicci

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that Nicci. That's a lot of useful info. (By the way, next time I order metal from you I'll engage my brain first !)
    Last edited by Steve S; 04-02-2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that. I'll check it out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering if it makes a difference as to whether you sub onto metal or porceline for the inks to fade?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    You seem to be responding to a lot of old threads, this one is from 2014. I'd advise starting new threads in this instance.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!