Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Help anyone print outdoor banners!!!!
    By letsgo in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24-02-2012, 11:29 AM
  2. Best Sign Board To Use?
    By BarryWalker in forum Vinyl Cutters
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 09:14 PM
  3. Coaster - HD Board from TMT
    By Paul in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 23-09-2011, 10:59 AM
  4. Sign Board wanted ...........
    By AdamB in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-02-2011, 02:09 PM
  5. Newbie on board!
    By busybusybee in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-09-2010, 03:13 AM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Outdoor Sign Board/Material ?

Folks,

I need to make some signs for myself, I have no idea what materials are available for this !

The other day I saw a new sign somebody else had made and it composed of white gloss finish on front and back with a Black/Brown core - I had no idea what that was.
    As far as I knew the only material for this type of thing was perspex ?

Could anybody shed any light on this for me please ?

What materials are available and what are the reasons for the different materials (assuming there ARE choices of course).

oh, and as I can't print anything I intend to make my signs with cut vinyl.
    Last edited by NikGrey; 08-03-2014 at 12:56 AM.
    My website is open:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Using FlexiStarter 10 and a Liyu SC631e & a Silhouette Cameo cutter. 2x Ricoh SG3110dn printers and Adkins Auto Clam press. Using Sublijet-r from Sawgrass.
    ..And I have gotten my money's worth out of this forum - saved Hundreds by being a Premium Member
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<-- IF you like this post PLEASE add to my reputation by clicking the 'Star' below this post on the Left :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nik

How long will the signs be up. There are lots of choices depending on the need.
    I have a short attention span.... HEY LOOK A PLANE!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aluminium composite panel or dibond (hoarding panel is cheaper alternative) its like an aluminium faced/backed sheet (type of plastic core) - looks like a metal, lasts for ages and is commonly used for outdoor signage for shops and industrial units.

Available in loads of colours - the white hoarding panel I used for my unit sign has been up for 6 years and shows no sign of deterioration. It cuts/snaps with a stanley knife and vinyl goes on a dream, wet or dry.

Cheers John

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dibond is the generic name for aluminium composite material - much like the brand name Hoover is the generic name for the vacuum cleaner.
    .. A quote I just found on tinterweb - something useful to know.

Dazzul, I just need a couple of pieces of material at 600 x 600mm for now.

And thanks John,you gave the keywords to search for - interested in this 'Hoarding' material for quick, cheap emergency signs from your description. I have a Metmark outlet near me and they mentioned Dibond, I had just forgotten what the product name was until you reminded me.

I doubt Metamark will supply the Hoarding so does anybody have any recommendations on where to find this stuff ?
    My website is open:

Using FlexiStarter 10 and a Liyu SC631e & a Silhouette Cameo cutter. 2x Ricoh SG3110dn printers and Adkins Auto Clam press. Using Sublijet-r from Sawgrass.
    ..And I have gotten my money's worth out of this forum - saved Hundreds by being a Premium Member

<-- IF you like this post PLEASE add to my reputation by clicking the 'Star' below this post on the Left :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if hoover had not come along we would be Goblin the floors, because it was Goblin who first had the idea about a vacuum cleaner and people said it would never take off!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoarding board - definately Pyramid Display, maybe Amari, if its not called hoarding board it will be classed as a budget composite panel. Cheaper than dibond and the only difference I can see is that its single sided (one side white, one aluminium colour) rather than white both sides.

There may be a disclaimer of 3 - 5 years or temporary use, but in all the years I've used it its never failed or weathered. Check when buying for conditions.

Cheers John

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nik i can recommend correx for short term (what estate agents use outside houses) Amari also sell this on 2ft x 3ft panels for less then a £1 :)
    I have a short attention span.... HEY LOOK A PLANE!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Foamex is just as good for outdoor signage..........again Amari is the place to get it from...and they will cut a sheet to your requirements.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a stroll over to Signpig.com or Signgeeks.co.uk..... they will show you all you need to know about putting signs together, applying films, printing etc etc etc..... really interesting sites. (No compettion for here Justin!)
    To view links or images in signatures your Beer count must be 10 pints or greater. You have currently drunk 15 pints!.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have got an Amari on the Sweetbriar estate or did have a few years ago when I lived in Norfolk.