Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Who here prints wide format?
    By Andrew in forum Wide Format Temp Archive
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-02-2016, 12:22 PM
  2. Wide format sublimation options
    By Justin in forum Wide Format Temp Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-03-2015, 10:41 PM
  3. Wide Format or not??
    By Richeyg in forum Wide Format Temp Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2014, 04:18 PM
  4. New A3 or Used wide format..?
    By JMugs in forum Printers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-07-2013, 12:53 PM
  5. Wide format printing
    By purpledragon in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 25-06-2012, 11:17 AM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Wide Format - Available Options

Interested to hear thoughts on what folk are using for large format. Really interested in options for 7+ colours so not ruling out 4880 etc. but probably looking more towards larger format.

Also interested in the 24" printers, obviously adhering to the Sawgrass stranglehold, sorry, I mean conditions :-) Please don't discuss third party inks in conjunction with anything less than 44"

So....what have you?
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We have a 9600, so 7 colour 44" wide (111.8cm)
    love it.
    Started on a SP4400 (17" 4 colour) saw huge quality improvement from moving up from a 1400 with CISS, although we missed the 6 colours.
    Then moved up to the 7600 (24" 7 colour) and having the extra three colours was another big improvement in quality.
    Then we moved to the 9600 as our workflow and products would benefit from the extra width, and the cheaper roll paper options.

The only difference between the 7600 and 9600 is the width - otherwise they're exactly the same. There is also a 10600, which is still 44", drops the light black channel, and the resolution a bit, but ups the speed - it also has two paper spindles (which would be good for sublimation if you wanted a tacky and non tacky paper loaded up)
    These are old machines, but, are workhorses, and sold a lot, so plenty of them on the used market.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do not want to divert from this thread but I was of the understanding that the Sawgrass patent was for 17" and below or at a push 24"

Before my ex business partner scum nicked everything we had a 9600 and have to admit it was bullet proof. Or I should say bomb proof. The factory used to be based near the Buncefield oil refinery and our premises were flattened. Only computer type bit of kit that survived was the 9600. Everything else under 50 years old and not manufactured like the "good old days" was knackered.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socialgiraffe View Post
    Do not want to divert from this thread but I was of the understanding that the Sawgrass patent was for 17" and below or at a push 24"

Before my ex business partner scum nicked everything we had a 9600 and have to admit it was bullet proof. Or I should say bomb proof. The factory used to be based near the Buncefield oil refinery and our premises were flattened. Only computer type bit of kit that survived was the 9600. Everything else under 50 years old and not manufactured like the "good old days" was knackered.
    Patent applies to everything 44" or smaller. Wide format as defined by Sawgrass is 44" or above so we can supply litre inks for the 9600 (as other sublimation suppliers can also supply into this printer), but the 7600 for example can't
    be supplied with other sublimation inks or litre volumes.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bms View Post
    Patent applies to everything 44" or smaller.
    The patent itself makes no mention of printer carriage width.
    There are Sawgrass dealers who seem to think that a 24" printer is good enough, and will supply Sawgrass' own wide format Sublim litres for those printers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Appreciate the input on what is/isn't large format but can we keep this thread on course please? I think there are other threads this can be continued in, cheers :-)
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pisquee View Post
    The patent itself makes no mention of printer carriage width.
    There are Sawgrass dealers who seem to think that a 24" printer is good enough, and will supply Sawgrass' own wide format Sublim litres for those printers.
    Then those dealers may be having a conversation with Sawgrass in the future then. If we supply litre inks, Sawgrass want to know the printer, model and serial number and to purchase said ink the printer must be of the 44" carriage width or larger. That's pretty clear to me. If any Sawgrass dealer wishes to interpret that differently then that is at their peril!

Sawgrass are members here so perhaps they will make an explicit statement...