Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Mug Template Packages
    By Photomouse in forum Graphics & Artwork
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 17-07-2021, 10:26 PM
  2. Complete new starter on here.,
    By AdrianH in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-07-2013, 12:04 AM
  3. Is this starter kit right for me?
    By Libby in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-01-2013, 12:30 AM
  4. Starter set up, is it any good.
    By picprintpress in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-05-2012, 06:51 AM
  5. flexi8 starter help
    By Mattie in forum Software
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starter Packages and Printers

I am after some guidance with regards to starter packages in particularly for Mug presses.

My wife has a small craft business and wants to expand to sublimation. We would like to start with mugs before we commit and start other items.

I have been looking around the suppliers that are listed on the forum and some companies offer mug starter kits with everything including the printer but the prices can vary significantly.

Is this down to just the suppliers version of a mug press or are some products inferior/superior than others.

I need to get a printer as well hence the starter packages and have been advised more towards Ricoh as they tend to clog less although print cost may be slightly higher. I was originally thinking of an Epson 1500W printer and CIS system. Is this the best way to go?

Sorry for the long winded post.

Thanks in advance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you have a budget? Everyone will probably have a different opinion about starter packages. The advantage is that if you have a problem with one aspect of the setup, your supplier should help you out without blaming another supplier's mugs etc. I'm not helping you much but I'm having more problems with my expensive mug press rather than my cheap backup press. I personally prefer to select equipment which suits me rather than a bulk package. Finding a good mug is your biggest challenge.
    Last edited by GoonerGary; 13-10-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't set a budget as such but don't mind spending a little bit more money if the products I'm using are slightly better quality.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a preference for Listawood PM1006 mugs, nearly bought their Genie Press which looks half decent. Epson WF 4015DN printer with refillable carts from CityInkExpress and Trupix paper. The majority of the mug presses use the same chassis, but the control board will have different electronics and the heat blankets might vary. Mug presses are a bit hit or miss, some are badly constructed and might require a small bit of DIY to get them lined up properly. I have £65 presses and a £400 press, all press mugs, but I hope that the £400 press will last over six years if it's going to earn it's keep.

Most of the learning curve will be getting the technique right for pressing the mugs, don't cut corners buying cheap eBay mugs, you will end up tearing your hair out.
    Last edited by GoonerGary; 13-10-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Just because something costs more, doesn't mean it is necessarily better than something cheaper
    Don't assume because a dealer is pushing one product more than another that he is wanting you to buy the best one- he may just be pushing the one which makes them the most profit (or the one that will give them most profit long term due to the margins on the inks you are then locked into)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonerGary View Post
    I have a preference for Listawood PM1006 mugs, nearly bought their Genie Press which looks half decent. Epson WF 4015D printer with refillable carts from CityInkExpress and Trupix paper. The majority of the mug presses use the same chassis, but the control board will have different electronics and the heat blankets might vary. Mug presses are a bit hit or miss, some are badly constructed and might require a small bit of DIY to get them lined up properly. I have £65 presses and a £400 press, all press mugs, but I hope that the £400 press will last over six years if it's going to earn it's keep.
    There are lots of Chinese mugs presses which look the same, but when you have two in front of you and use them, there is a reason some of them cost more than £65 - there is a difference in the quality/thickness of metal, construction (welding/nuts/bolts quality), components etc Also the wiring isn't standard between them all, so look at the cost of replacement blankets too to consider the TCO

Having said that I much prefer our cheap no brand £65 Chinese presses, to our expensive Jarins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I am looking at listawood , BMS and coralgraph for supplying the equipment. I will look into the printers but everyone seems to be offering support for the Rico printers and not much on the Epson printers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There will be support for both systems. One ink company owns the monopoly for both systems. The Ricoh is a gel ink which continuously feeds a tiny amount of ink through the printer to keep things running smoother, but if you use your Epson printer regularly it should be fine too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using the green clamps and my kitchen oven with really great results!
    is this wrong? Lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd save some energy costs and stick a stew in there too...don't tell the tax man though..strictly for business use that gas!